NC NOW, a member of the NC Women United coalition, held its annual conference in Winston Salem, NC on October 10th. The conference theme was Focusing Women’s Power NOW! Congresswoman Alma Adams delivered a powerful, thoughtful, and personal keynote address.
“Women are pushing back and moving forward, demanding our human rights and freedom from unwanted intrusions in our privacy and pursuit of happiness,” says Gailya Paliga, president of NC NOW. “We are focusing women’s power NOW!”
Morning sessions featured updates on the status of, and pending legislation on, NOW’s six core issues in North Carolina.
- Reproductive Rights
- Economic Rights (including pay equity) – featuring Tazra Mitchell, Second VP of NCWU and Policy Analyst for the NC Budget and Tax Center
- Ending Violence Against Women – featuring Suzanne Reynolds, Dean of the Wake Forest University School of Law and legal expert on domestic violence protocol in the courts
- Racial Justice (including immigration)
- LGBTQIAA Rights
- Constitutional Equality through the Equal Rights Amendment
Following Congresswoman Adams’ keynote address, attendees spent the afternoon honing their activist skills to bring about positive changes for women’s lives in North Carolina, including
- Electing feminist candidates
- Taking direct action
- Working with the media
For a copy of Tazra Mitchell’s (Second VP of NCWU) presentation on women’s economic security, click on this link: Broken Economic Model and Policy Keep Economic Security Out of Reach for Many Tar Heel Women